Overview of the OwnMyCopy backup tool for Gmail
OwnMyCopy is a Windows tool which can backup from your Gmail account(s) to your own computer the following data:
- Gmail messages.
- Gmail labels.
- Email attachments (eg. Excel spreadsheets sent from your clients).
- Gmail chat logs.
How does it work?
Once you have installed OwnMyCopy onto your computer,
- You create a new backup account in OwnMyCopy, selecting the “Gmail” type.
- You input your account login info. (Security concerns?)
- Optionally, you can schedule the backup task to run regularly.
And then, OwnMyCopy will take it from there, download your Gmail data using the fast, reliable and encrypted IMAP protocol, and store the data into the small and reliable SQLite database files (more details below).
Setup is simple
Setting up the backup for a Gmail account is simple, just input your full mail address and your password (these info are encrypted and stored in the SQLite database file you choice in your own computer, not elsewhere).
If you want to filter the data to download, use any search string that’s supported by Gmail web.
Auto-run backup daily
You can schedule the backup to run at the specified time once or multiple times.
You can even set each account to run regularly at different times.
Informative backup logs
OwnMyCopy provides very human-readable log messages for the most recent run of your Gmail backup task, which gives you an overview on which emails were downloaded, who sent those emails, how large are those emails, and so on.
Viewer for backed up Gmail data
OwnMyCopy provides a simple viewer for your downloaded Gmail data, which lists the Gmail labels on the left-most side, shows the email list in the middle, and shows the details of the selected email on the right-most side.
Open file formats
OwnMyCopy uses the open source SQLite database system to store your downloaded data in your own computer. So you use OwnMyCopy to backup your Gmail, there is no vendor lock-in.
SQLite is very small, reliable, and is very widely used by the IT industry, users include Google, Apple and Adobe.
Email restoration and export
- You can restore your email backup data including attachments and Gmail labels, back to a Gmail account.
- You can export your email backup data to a disk folder in the standard .EML file format which can be read by other email client programs including Microsoft Outlook.
Start backup today!
Before it’s too late
Start owning a copy of your Gmail data in your computer today!